Migrating from WordPress to calmPress can be achieved without any content or functionality lost, but you should consult first the miration page for the specific version you would like to migrate to, as there might be changes you should prefer for in advance.
Before starting an upgrade you should ensure that there is a backup of the current database and the files in the uploads directory, and if not, create one (use a plugin if your host do not provide other options).
For the migration you should use the upgrade version of the desired release listed at the release download page.
It is possible to do the migration without having SSH access to the server, by using (S)FTP, but it is going to take much more time. We are not going to provide explicit details here, but you can follow the steps for when you have SSH access.
The following are the steps to follow when upgrading using command line interface via SSH access.
- Use wget to get the files of the upgrade to the server. You can use the URL specified in the upgrade page or the one you locate at the release download page. Important, do not get the files directly into the folder in which you have your current WordPress files, use some temporary folder instead.
- gunzip the file you got in step 1
- Put WordPress into maintenance mode by adding a file named .maintenance into the root directory of your WordPress install
- Remove (or change the name of) the wp-includes directory which is in the root directory of your WordPress install (this is done this way to make sure that there are no leftover files)
- Copy or move the wp-includes directory from your temporary directory into the WordPress root directory
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the wp-admin directory
- Copy the wp-*.php files from your temporary directory into the WordPress root directory.
- Some wp-*.php files might be removed in calmPress, so make sure there are no wp-*.php files in the WordPress root directory which are not in the temporary directory. The only exception is the wp-config.php file
- Remove the .maintenance file created at step 3
- You are done, and should be able to login. Might need to complete the database upgrade if it is required for the release you are upgrading into.
- Enjoy using calmPress!